Friday, January 30, 2009

The Book, the Ink, and the Pedestal

The group entered the main chamber and standing in front of them was one lone pedestal. Behind it was a row of 5 stone sarcophagi. Resting on top of the pedestal was a glass enclosure, and inside was a book resting on a pillow.

Gabriel was enthralled by a book since it has been so long since he had a moment’s peace, to relax and read. He approached and read the opened page.

"Here rest the keepers of peace - soldiers proud to give their lives to protecting the people. Their honor and duties as soldiers have earned their remembrance for as long as this monastery holds them."

There were many pages – maybe 75 or so but this book was only opened to this one section. Gabriel looked around at the glass enclosure and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary that wouldn’t prevent him from just lifting the glass cover off and reading the rest of it.

The other party members looked on, unprepared with what he was to do next.

Without hesitations, Gabriel lifted the glass. A super loud bell began to ring inside of the pedestal and before Gabriel could react, jets of yellow ink sprayed all around the pedestal, covering him from head to toe.

He was drenched. He was bright yellow.

Farador ran over with his picks and tried to disable the device that was causing the intense audible disturbance, and in under a half minute, he disengaged it.

It was quite again – all they could hear was the ringing in their ears. All they could see was a bright yellow Gabriel holding a glass cover.

Gabriel tried to wipe the ink but it was drying too quickly – there was no hope. He didn’t seem to mind and was more focused on the book. He carefully grabbed it making sure not to disturb its aging beauty..

With the flick of his wrist, Gabriel made his yellow complexion fade, “at least for a while” he said.

From the words of Garbiel:

" I had been fighting back monsters and men for days. Couldn't even remember the last time I sat down and had a chance to think. After years of being forced to quietly study others great deeds, I finally had a chance to act and longed for a moments peace.

Then I saw it.

We had just reentered the first level of the monastery, when we noticed a room we had skipped over the first few times down. As I arrived at the door I saw a large tome of some kind displayed on a decorative podium. The book was cleverly left open to the pages that introduced five heroes long past. The heroes were laid out in closed caskets at the rear of the room. The book itself was placed on a pillow under a large glass lid, which did a great job of preserving the book over years.

What secrets could be found in its pages? What knowledge, just waiting to be learned? It was the greatest treasure I had found yet. Maybe all this; the King, the Prince, this place, maybe it could all begin to make some sense if I understood what these brave adventurers lived and died for. Without another moments thought, I removed the lid.

Anyway, as I was saying, I really hadn't taken much of a break in a while. And well sometimes, when you go a few days of constant adventuring, exploring, and fighting, you forget how important a moment’s thought can be. Yeah, it was trapped.

Immediately after I had my poor lapse in judgment I paid for my haste. Sirens loud enough to fill the monastery began to bellow out for help and a strange yellowish shower quickly covered my entire body. Lucky for me the trap was quite harmless. It was just yellow ink. Farador was able to stop the sirens with just a little bit of trouble and I can conceal my new look with a little magic. I walked away from that one in good shape...

Now if you would like to hear a story with a more painful ending... ask me about that secret door they found while I was taking the book. Ouch."

Gabriel Dareus.