Friday, January 9, 2009

(DM Talk) The Gaming Tools

Over all the years of playing D&D, I have used many tools, most of which are electronic. Since this is a D&D 4th edition game, I have shelved DMGenie and E-Tools, and turned to the Wizards of the Coast, DDI tools. I have found the Character Builder to be the most important out of all the others available at DDI and anxiously await their final release due out shortly. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/insider

Ultimately however, my most prized and most important tool of all is Maptool, which is an electronic game table (computerized battle mat). Maptool allows me, as a DM, to be able to make my maps well ahead of time, and pull them up as needed during game. No more dry erase markers; no more erasing and drawing again; no more room size limitations. With Maptool, I can have outdoor battle scenes that are thousands of feet long, overland maps that span miles, dungeons that have real light in them, and character tokens with real vision that cannot see around corners or though buildings. Maptool has allowed me to make D&D as realistic as possible. I love it when the party splits up and I hear a player say "where did everyone go?". Anyway, I could talk for hours about how cool Maptool is but instead, I highly suggest checking it out yourself. Oh, and it is free. :)
http://www.rptools.net/

I also use RPGSoundmixer to orchestrate all my sound effects and music. It is the most powerful sound tool I have ever used. The only downside about it is that it doesn't work with Vista and development hasn't been active for a long time. After sending an e-mail to their developer, he assured me that they will most likely work on a new version in the future. Time will tell.
www.rpgsoundmixer.com