Thursday, January 8, 2009

Diablo Revisited: Introduction

This is my blog for keeping track of a D&D game I am currently running that is based off the Diablo world created by Blizzard Entertainment (http://www.blizzard.com/).

I am a huge fan of both Diablo and Dungeons and Dragons that I thought I would bring the two together and allow my friends to experience the twisted story of evil being reborn and terrorizing the land. How far will I take this journey? That is hard to answer but I would like for it to span into the whole Diablo timeline starting from their first journey to Tristram and ending with the death of Diablo and his evil brothers Mephisto and Baal. In a D&D game however, nothing is ever concrete and the heroes may fail at their given tasks; it could be the three prime evils that are victorious and their rein over the mortal planes would last for an eternity - let us hope not...

I picked this story for many reasons. First off, I have always been a fan of horror films, books, makeup, special effects, video/sound production, and tales. I have also been a fan of the Diablo games themselves but I felt that being a video game, the story was too set in stone; the linear direction was too concrete with the same ending no matter how, or who you played. I wanted more. I wanted to expand on the story and bring it to life. I want the players to decide what to do and where to go next. I want to be able to give graphical details to the horrors around them because let's face it, evil at that extent should be the worst imaginable evil possibly imagined. I also wanted the players to feel like they are really there and this is really happening - I want a living, breathing world that is constantly in motion. I am also a serious fan of Wizards of the Coasts game called Dungeons and Dragons (www.wizards.com/dnd) and I believe their new 4th edition ruleset is a perfect match for the Diablo universe. The players are able to make heroic characters with heroic abilities that are perfectly capable of smiting any evil that comes in their way. In my eyes, bringing Diablo and D&D together is a no brainer; good versus evil, and in my eyes, will result in many memorable moments where the adventurers save people in distress, and cleave murderous villians, sending them back to where they came from..

I need to forewarn you; my game will bear an R rating for graphic violence, language, and anything else your worst nightmares can muster. This story is what I imagine in my head in the event that Diablo was walked the earth. It is will be dark and evil in every aspect and if such details turn your stomach, leave now, you have been warned. Diablo is about to walk again, and this is the tale of five adventurers seeking him out...